Sunday, November 17, 2013

Message from Mariah via her Facebook page!

Hi lambs, after everything I've been through this year, I doubt there's anyone more excited for the holidays to
begin than I am. I usually try my hardest to wait until after Thanksgiving to celebrate the holiday season but this just made my day and I gotta share.

Today on the street, a group of fans stopped me and started singing "All I Want For Christmas Is You" at the top of their lungs. Amazing. So many people tell me: "The holiday season doesn't start for us until we hear All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah." Surreal. I humbly thank them but inside I'm jumping up and down like a second grader on a snow day because I WROTE AND PRODUCED that song on a whim!!! To hear this and to see "All I Want For Christmas Is You" at #1 on this week's Billboard's chart... I kinda still can't believe it!

I'll never forget writing the melody and lyrics in a little studio decorated for Christmas in the middle of the summer. In case you know nothing about me, when I was a little girl, Christmas and music were the happiest moments I had and I never realized that people would grow up listening to and singing along with my songs like I grew up listening to "Jingle Bells" or "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"

Then, when I saw "Where Are You Christmas?" by Faith Hill at #2, I almost couldn't believe it because I wrote that song with the incredible Oscar-winning genius James Horner for the movie "The Grinch" a couple of years back. It blows my mind and makes me feel like that second grader on a snow day again!!

After I hugged the group of fans goodbye, they ran down the street, waving and continuing their rendition of "All I Want For Christmas Is You", a song I wrote very tongue-in-cheek, very cookies-and-milk, purely childhood-memories-forever!

I just want to thank everyone for consistently supporting my Christmas music year after year because it is so much more than holiday music for me. It's about joy, nostalgia, and it's about never losing the spirit of Christmas in your heart. Happy (very early) holidays! --MC

No comments: